A Choice Between Life and Death
Every election cycle we have choices that stand before us
Often those choices come down to two political parties
We have heard many say today that pastors should not speak about politics or bring it into the pulpit
But as I pray over this issue it is clear to me that it should not only be addressed by pastors, but it needs to be
The leaders we choose will not only have an impact on our present but will impact our future
Often people wonder how should we vote?
But I believe there is an issue in this nation that is very near and dear to the heart of God
I believe it is the protection of the lives of the unborn
We are told in Psalm 68:5 A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling.
God is concerned with the marginalized of society
Every time a child is aborted, they are discarded and cast to the side
When we look at the development of a child in the womb it is truly a miracle of God
13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. 14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. 15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. 16 Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
1. A child is not created by accident it is a miracle of God
o It is the Lord who creates and knits together the child
o By the hand of God a person is created and given life
2. The world would classify a child developing in its mother’s womb as a fetus, but when we look at the bible we know it is truly a child
o Luke 1:41-44: 41 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. 42 In a loud voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! 43 But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy.
3. We are fearfully and wonderfully made
o The process of child development is truly a miracle
o It doesn’t happen by accident
o It was designed by Almighty God
o The word wonderful in the Hebrew means: Designates a mighty act of God that is inexplicable and indescribable according to human standards.
4. The mother’s womb is known as a secret place
o It is a place of protection
o When a woman carries a child her body is perfectly designed by God to provide what is needed for that child
5. The Lord sees the unborn
o For every child who is discarded the Lord not only sees them, He hears their cries
o For all of these children the Lord has a plan and purpose
o No one exist who is not valuable in the eyes of God
(Play video of child developing in the womb)
From this video it is truly amazing over the course of 9 months how intricately a child develops
In these first few weeks,
· a primitive face will take form
· The mouth, lower jaw and throat are developing.
· Blood cells are taking shape, and circulation will begin.
· The tiny "heart" tube will beat 65 times a minute by the end of the fourth week.
· Facial features continue to develop.
· Each ear begins as a little fold of skin at the side of the head.
· Tiny buds that eventually grow into arms and legs are forming. Fingers, toes and eyes are also forming.
· The neural tube (brain, spinal cord and other neural tissue of the central nervous system) is well formed now.
· The digestive tract and sensory organs begin to develop too.
· Bone starts to replace cartilage.
· The arms, hands, fingers, feet and toes are fully formed.
· the fetus is starting to explore a bit by doing things like opening and closing its fists and mouth.
· Fingernails and toenails are beginning to develop and the external ears are formed.
· The beginnings of teeth are forming under the gums.
· reproductive organs also develop, but sex is still difficult to distinguish on ultrasound.
· By the end of the third month, the fetus is fully formed. All the organs and limbs (extremities) are present and will continue to develop in order to become functional.
· The circulatory and urinary systems are also working and the liver produces bile.
· The fetal heartbeat may now be audible through an instrument called a doppler.
· The fingers and toes are well-defined.
· Eyelids, eyebrows, eyelashes, nails and hair are formed.
· Teeth and bones become denser.
· The fetus can even suck his or her thumb, yawn, stretch and make faces.
· The nervous system is starting to function. The reproductive organs and genitalia are now fully developed, and your doctor can see on ultrasound if the fetus will be designated male or female at birth.
· The fetus is developing muscles and exercising them.
· This first movement is called quickening and can feel like a flutter. Hair begins to grow on the head.
· The shoulders, back and temples are covered by a soft fine hair called lanugo.
· This hair protects the fetus and is usually shed at the end of your baby's first week of life.
· the fetus's skin is reddish in color, wrinkled and veins are visible through translucent skin.
· The finger and toe prints are visible.
· eyelids begin to part and the eyes open.
· The fetus responds to sounds by moving or increasing the pulse. You may notice jerking motions if the fetus hiccups. If born prematurely, your baby may survive after the 23rd week with intensive care.
· The fetus continues to mature and develop reserves of body fat.
· hearing is fully developed.
· The fetus changes position frequently and responds to stimuli, including sound, pain and light. The amniotic fluid begins to diminish.
· The fetus continues to mature and develop reserves of body fat. You may notice more kicking.
· The brain developing rapidly at this time, and the fetus can see and hear.
· Most internal systems are well developed, but the lungs may still be immature.
· During this stage, the fetus continues to grow and mature.
· The lungs are close to being fully developed at this point.
· The fetus has coordinated reflexes and can blink, close the eyes, turn the head, grasp firmly, and respond to sounds, light and touch.
Because of science and technology today we are given the ability to see into the development of the unborn child
But as I have prayed over this election and the future of our nation the Lord took my mind and heart to 1 Kings 18:20-24
20 So Ahab sent for all the children of Israel, and gathered the prophets together on Mount Carmel. 21 And Elijah came to all the people, and said, “How long will you falter between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow Him; but if Baal, follow him.” But the people answered him not a word. 22 Then Elijah said to the people, “I alone am left a prophet of the Lord; but Baal’s prophets are four hundred and fifty men. 23 Therefore let them give us two bulls; and let them choose one bull for themselves, cut it in pieces, and lay it on the wood, but put no fire under it; and I will prepare the other bull, and lay it on the wood, but put no fire under it. 24 Then you call on the name of your gods, and I will call on the name of the Lord; and the God who answers by fire, He is God.”
So all the people answered and said, [a]“It is well spoken.”
1. The people were given a choice between serving the Living God and continuing to worship and serve the false god Baal
a. God has given his church in America a choice
b. Everything we believe about Jesus and the bible should shape and determine the decisions and choices we make on a daily basis
2. If we vote for representatives who champion and encourage the killing of the unborn than we have a hand in it
a. Some will claim that politics should have no place in the pulpit
b. But what I believe stands before America in every election is a choice between life and death
3. The more we elect leaders who champion the death of the unborn, the more it increases in the land
4. During Elijah’s day the nation of Nothern Israel had become corrupted with the worship of Baal
a. It often involved sexual practices that were against God and His word
b. The Lord wept over the condition of His people and what they had become
5. But God in His mercy didn’t abandon them or give up on them
a. God could have given them over to their sin, but in His grace He raised up the mighty prophet Elijah
b. He stood alone on Mount Carmel against 450 false prophets of Baal
c. But on this day it was the Lord who stood by Elijah and empowered Him
Every single Christian on election has a responsibility
In this nation we have the right to vote and in every decision we make we are accountable
I have prayed and sought the Lord about showing this next clip of a doctor who at one time performed over 1200 abortions
Today he has come to Christ and no longer performs abortions
But in this clip he testifies before the congress in the state of California
He will describe what happens during a second term abortion
When I first listened to this I sat in my car in silence as I drove
I cannot imagine the unspeakable pain an unborn child feels as this is done over and over again in America
But more than that I think about the Living God
Currently Gavin Newsom desires to put forth a bill that will allow the murder of a child 30 days outside the mothers womb
In America we truly find ourselves at a crossroads